Wednesday, February 4, 2009

2/4/2009

Talking about Patrick Henry helps me recall a significant story about my presentation there. After I finished speaking I have a question and answer session. Somebody asked me if I ever shot baskets anymore, because in my talk I refer to my love of sports. I proceeded to shoot nearly a half dozen three pointers and missed them all terribly. I moved to the middle of the gym saying that the principal said he would give me $500 if I even hit the rim on any of two shots. I was only joking, but Mr. Pettit agreed jokingly as I peered his way. That only added to the suspense. I launched the first shot, after meandering myself the the circle at center court, and it banged off the backboard, but I still had another chance. Again I cocked my shaky arm back, and released the ball in a moment when the jitterbug hand stopped shaking but for an instant. I immediately knew that this ball had a chance of at least connecting with the rim, as I could judge its path and knew that I empowered the ball with plenty of velocity. I was in a state of total amazement and awe, as the ball made a swooshing sound as it went through the hoop. Instant pandemonium struck the gym full of students and teachers. Some people assumed that I make a half court shot frequently when I speak places, but that is not all the case. I have only ever taken half court shots after two other presentations, and never made one. It was a memorable experience for myself and everyone in attendance. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile, right?

No comments: